Of course, we’re here to help you with your financial needs through our wide range of services. However, our work doesn't stop there. We're committed to helping educate youth and adults on financial topics and planning so they’re prepared to make the most sound decisions and foster their brightest possible futures.
"This is all in an effort to put youth on a positive financial path and give them the tools for sound financial decision making throughout their lives. It's important work that connects back to our cooperative principles and over-arching philosophy of 'People Helping People.'"
- Linda Hale, Wisconsin Credit Union League
We foster financial wellness in a variety of ways, including:
- Certified Financial Coaches on Staff: CCU has five Certified Credit Union Financial Coaches who completed coursework and training through the Credit Union National Association. They counsel members on budgeting, the importance of saving and reduction of debt and the value of a healthy credit score. Financial coaching is an inherent and natural part of the work all CCU employees provide as they interact with members.
- Reality Days at Area High Schools: We sponsor and coordinate life-like simulations designed to give a window into income, expenses and budgeting needed to help navigate post-high school life. Students are given life scenarios and are sent to different stations where they make decisions about child care, housing, clothing, food and entertainment as they maintain and balance their checking accounts, pay off debt and save for rainy days and the future.
- Tiger Credit Union, Our In-School Branch at Black River Falls High School: Tiger Credit Union, a division of Co-op Credit Union, is in its fifth year and is one of more than 100 in-school credit union branches in Wisconsin. The branch is operated by Student Member Service Representatives who not only conduct transactions but also help educate their peers on savings and finances.
- Support for a Finance & Investment Challenge Bowl for Area Students: Our credit union was one of several area credit unions who assisted with coordinating, sponsoring and bringing a financial quiz bowl-style competition to the La Crosse area for area high school students in early 2018 that continues annually. The fun, interactive competition challenges students knowledge on a variety of finance- and economics-related topics.
- Free Financial Wellness Sessions: We work to offer several free financial wellness sessions on various topics in a virtual format and in area communities throughout the year. Topics include, but are not limited to, budgeting, estate planning and home buying. Check our News & Events page for updates on our programs as they're scheduled.